Monday, November 26, 2012

Finding My Niche


Due to a unfortunate occurrence, I think I am finally finding my niche in life. Well, maybe not my life, since I will be going on Medicare in February,but a peaceful and relaxing way to spend my retirement time. I am enjoying tremendously, my new found craft. Assembling gift bags. I have been toying with this idea for some time now, but I have just lately,decided to put a little more effort into it.Pop's sister passed away this past month, and her finances were such that the family had no funds for her burial. Her family, friends, and community have organized an auction and soup supper to help raise money for the burial expenses. It's heart wrenching to see just how many folks will gladly lend a helping hand in a time like this. The auction is a few days away, but appears to be coming together nicely, even though many of us have never had the experience of putting one together,from square one.There may be a few flies in the ointment, but overall, I think folks will understand, we are doing it for a good cause, even though we know nothing about organizing and setting up an entire auction.

I pictured one of my gift bags in my last post, and I am posting another today. I have been working with Mom lately, more than normal, since her Alzheimer's is worsening, but tonight, Vicki,one of my sisters, of My Favorite Things, is staying with her, to give me a little more time to create more gift bags and to gather up a few of my cherished collectibles to donate to the auction.(Pop is happy about that.)It has always been so hard for me to let go of my crafts and my collectibles, but with this cause,it has become much easier.I guess I am beginning to see that there are more important things in life than having pretty things around you.It is so sad to think it took a death to make me realize that.

I am a bit nervous over the upcoming auction, as I am sure the other participants are, but hopefully, it will all come together soon, and all will be just fine. I will post more about it as it happens.


The little gift box that I have made tonight is a sewing box,filled with a few of my little collectibles. A pretty pin cushion I dearly love, with lots of pretty pins and needles,a tiny jar filled with several tiny spools of thread(that's one of my handmade toppers on the jar),and a tiny book of Chicken Soup for the Christmas Soul.I worked on the little sewing box tonight after spending the biggest portion of the day with Mom and Vicki.

Mom had a regular doctor's appointment,and Dr. Green had her to go to Radiology for an x-ray on her hip.She fell two or three times this past three months.Rita and I felt nothing was broken, and we found out today that it wasn't,but she evidently had pulled or strained some muscles and bruised herself in a few places.She is healing slowly, but loosing strength in her legs from her inactivity.Dr. Green recommended she do as many leg lifts as possible,daily. She is pretty weak in her legs, but I think she is willing to try it.She hates being unable to carry on with her activities like she once did.She fell the first time while raking leaves in her yard.She has always been so active,it has to be hard to accept that you can no longer do the things you once did on a daily basis.She will be 87 in January.

After we finished at the hospital, we went out for a nice leisurely lunch at Captain D's.It was nice.When we returned to Mom's home, we found that Rita had dropped by on her way to work at Walmart, and left several dishes of goodies left over from her family's Thanksgiving meal on Saturday.Looks like Mom and Vicki will be eating good again tonight.Rita will be staying the night with Mom when she gets off at 9 p.m.It's a struggle figuring out a schedule so that Mom is never alone any more, but so far we are managing.Our families understand that we must do what needs doing, when it's required, and so far it's working out without a lot of stress on anyone,thanks to Vicki's help. Alzheimer's is a horrible disease. I feel for anyone who has to care for a family member with it. Alzheimer's knows no age. It is affecting younger folks,more and more, every day.

1 comment:

  1. Your gift bags sound like a wonderful thing to do. So sad and sorry for your pop's sisters death. Funerals are so emotionally and finacially hard to go through. So good that folks are helping. Alzheimer's is also very hard to watch someone go through. My prayers are with you and your mom. I hope you gift bags raise a lot at the auction. Hope all goes well. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete