Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Eggs and 50 Year Ago Memories



Isn't it strange, and a bit scary, to think that you can remember the smallest detail of some of the happenings in your life, but you can't remember if or where you planted your winter onions, only six weeks or so ago?

When I awoke this morning, I went out to check on my ducks. I was wide awake after going out in the rain and snow mix we were having at the time, so I decided to get something more done, before crawling back into bed, if I decided to do so. I had quite an accumulation of eggs from the last couple of days. Getting around to washing them and carrying them downstairs to the extra fridge, can be a chore at times, especially when there are so many other things you'd rather be doing, like painting rocks.

Well, this morning as I was washing the eggs, they brought back memories from fifty years ago. I was staying the night with one of my good friends from school, and I can remember standing at the sink, washing eggs from their family's chickens. Funny how that memory of the egg washing is so vivid, when I had a huge crush on her brother, at that same time. He was as shy as myself, so no one would ever have guessed that either of us had a thought about the other. I thought about him a lot, but mostly in my dreams. He was a little older than me and I doubted that he even knew I was alive, but I was crazy, although silently, in love with him. The next morning, as we all loaded on to the school bus,I noticed that he had secretly got ahold of my notebook and written his name inside. At least I always assumed he had done it. I can't imagine anyone else doing that since most of my thoughts about him, were only in my mind. His sister knew, but I still believe to this day, that it was he, himself, who had written his name in my notebook. That surely was a sign that he had thought of me, even if it was just to tease me.

I remember thinking I could always dream about him. There was no harm in that. Since he was Catholic and I was Baptist, nothing more could ever come of it anyway. Back then, it just wasn't done. Marrying someone of a different faith. Not that it would ever come to that, but still, the thought of our different faiths was there, holding me back. That and being so shy.

Yes, it is definitely funny, and a bit strange, how some thoughts and memories linger in our minds forever, while others leave so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment