Saturday, July 4, 2015

Potatoes in my Bed



early stages of my raised bed... 30 X 5 ft.


a sampling of my new potatoes

We bought a bag of red potatoes at the local auction this year, and I decided I would plant some of the eyes in my new raised garden bed just to see how they do. We have had the wettest Spring I can remember in awhile. It has been extra cool and rained more days than not. I suppose it was just what the doctor ordered for my potatoes. I harvested a full 5 gallon bucket from only a dozen hills. They were amazing. I cooked up a batch of potato soup for a gathering we were having a couple of weeks ago and they were such a hit, I have decided to cook another batch for our outing at the lake on Sunday. I have a few tires remaining with the last few hills that have not been harvested yet. It, too, was an experiment, so having such good luck with the potatoes this year, I will definitely be trying it again next year. With potatoes though, one just knows it is a hit or miss thing. A lot depends on the weather and other factors, as to whether or not you have a good crop. My raised bed is young yet, so I'll need to add a lot more soil and other things in order to make it better. I am so pleased with the results, I can't imagine it being any better. My tomatoes are doing great. I have sweet peppers coming on. The watermelons are growing good. I had a few strawberries earlier this season.. I have a few strawberry corn nearing maturity.  I've had loads of onions, My cucumbers are bearing good. And, oh yes, my potatoes. I dare say, I have impressed my own self with the abundance of veggies that I have grown in my new raised bed. I have planted some beans lately and they are coming along nicely. Who could ask for more in such a small space. Having a place to raise your own food and enjoying the process as we both do, is truly a blessing. We are so blessed, and we thank God, daily, for this wonderful life we are living.

No comments:

Post a Comment