Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Getting Old is not for Sissies

This past year, I have had more medical issues than the combined 66 years prior. Everything seems to begin falling apart all at once. I really have no right to complain, since I have been so healthy for so long, but it definitely hard to accept. It is my opinion that some, not all, but some of the problems I am experiencing are related to the chemo pill I must take for 2 years following my cancer removal. The majority of the symptoms, I can handle, but the weak muscles is the worst. I have always been strong and had boocoodles of energy. Those two symptoms are the hardest to accept. I have had my one year scan and check up with both my surgeon and my oncologist and got good reports from both. During my visit with them, I voiced my thoughts about the weak muscles and questioned whether my heart would be affected since it is a muscle. They are now recommending a stress test. I have been having several episodes of chest pains. Nothing major, but enough to get my attention. The heart is the first thing to pop into my mind. Could this be a warning of worse things to come? Hopefully, with this, test, we will be able to see what is going on. I pray it is only stress causing the chest pains.

Now I am dealing with another totally different issue, unrelated to the chemo pills, as far as I know anyway.  I have been doing a lot of reading and feel the thing I am dealing with now is a Baker's Cyst. There is a swelling in the back of my knee and it makes bending my leg or using the muscles in my leg very painful. From the reading I have done, it must be a fluid that has built up around a joint. The more reading I do, the more frightened I get. It says it can heal and go away on it's own, but then there is a chance it may require surgery. I have an appointment with my family doctor next week for my routine checkup. I tried to get in earlier to no avail. I think I read that the fluid sac could rupture and the fluid could run down into the calf muscle and cause more problems. I am already experiencing the sensation on the soul of my foot of standing on a couple of small water balloons.Could this be the fluid from the ruptured cyst? I hope not, but it does sound logical. The entire thing makes it very uncomfortable to walk, so hopefully I will get to the bottom of this issue before too long. The rains have hampered my work in the yard and gardens nearly all Spring and Summer, so far. I have had to spend a lot of time indoors. I am ready to pull my hair, or someone's hair, out over it all. I pray this, too, will pass, as have so many other hurtles in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment