Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Need Feathers, Anyone?

Many years ago, when I was very young, I slept on a feather bed, while staying over at my Grandparent's house,which I did quite often. It was wonderful back then, since the houses were heated by one wood or coal stove, which was centrally located in the house. The feather bed was wonderful for keeping one warm in the extra bedroom.Now that our modern homes have more efficient means of heating, a feather bed is no longer necessary. Nevertheless, I fell heir to a feather mattress this past year.I accepted the gift from a friend,mainly because I wanted the mattress cover for my rug making projects. It was nothing more than a huge pillow case that encased the entire mattress and was buttoned shut. I can always use the buttons, and I definitely wanted the cranberry colored fabric to make more little rugs. Cranberry has become one of my favorite colors lately.I have moved the mattress around for nearly a year now, not really having a place for it,but definitely wanting to hold onto it.


Low and behold, I found another pillow case of sorts,large enough to hold the ticking. A real bargain.$4.98.Now I can begin ripping the cranberry case up for my rugs.


I can't wait to get started on another little rug like this one.

I have made many rugs like this in the past, and have given them all away to friends and family, but this is one of three, that I have decided to keep for myself,forever. They come in so handy for wiping wet feet or simply cleaning up spilled water or drinks. Just toss it in the laundry, and it's good to go again. One of the most used projects I have made in awhile.

1 comment:

  1. I love the rug! It looks very hard wearing. I had a friend that used to make rugs similar to these out of french knitting that her children had made. They looked fantastic!

    ReplyDelete