Monday, June 11, 2012

Saying Goodbye

Mom and the five girls (that's me in the quilted jacket)

Death is a horrible thing, but I think it is even worse, having to gradually say Goodbye, a little more each day, to the Mom you use to know. Her mind is slowly,slipping away, as time goes by. Some days are better than others, but then there are segments of time, when she cannot function on her own, as she has always done.It is a heart breaking thing to go through,especially since she has been our "Rock" for so many years.

Mom had a horrible upbringing in her early life,and she struggled for most of her grown up life,hundreds of miles from her root family, with limited communications with them, raising nine children,on a huge farm, with very limited resources.Thank God for a Dad who always saw to it, that the land we lived on was our very own. No one could put us out of our home.Well, I guess, there might have been circumstances where that could have happened, but Thank God once again, it never did.Dad worked many long hard days, to make sure it didn't.Mom never worked public work, and she never learned to drive.Her job was raising us kids.

I am so thankful to have been raised during the period we were. The drugs and such that folks are dealing with today,were non existent back then.At least,no where near the extent they are today. I did hear of some type of pills being offered to athletes in the early 70's, but somehow,and I speak for myself,I just didn't hear about all of the corrupt things folks are using and doing today.I guess you might say we lived a sheltered life in the backside of nowhere,which could be a Good Thing.

Nevertheless, Mom taught us the basics of life.We each have our own daily demons to fight, as do most folks,but we had a good solid upbringing.We were taught to make the best of what we had,and to use the resources available to us, to the best of our abilities. We wasted little and needed little from the rest of the world,outside our life on the farm.Mom saw to it that we were in church, whenever the doors were open,Many of us have not followed through with that aspect of our lives, but I'm sure we each, in our own way,have benefited from our being raised in the church,during our youth.

I am so proud to have had a strong Mother. I am convinced it was her, that made me the person I am today. I can hold my head high, and say" I am proud of the person I have become, and I owe it,for the most part, to my Mother."I love you,Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment