When I began this post today, this was all that was left of the peanuts from the four plants I grew in my garden this year.I harvested about 4 cups total and after a lot of experimenting, I think I have finally got the hang of it.
Next year, I will cover the vines with extra soil,something I failed to do this year. That should bring in a better yield of peanuts for next year's crop.
Hopefully,I'll get them in the ground a little earlier than I did this year.
Right before the first expected frost,I'll dig the peanuts.
I will wash them really good and pluck them from the roots of the plants.
Next, I will cover them with salt water and let them soak for several days.
Then I will air dry them or put them in the dehydrator until they are totally dry.
Then I will put them on a cookie sheet and toast them in a warm oven for a few hours, turning them every once in awhile.
I'm not sure if this is the correct procedure, but I am well pleased with the results of my first try at raising peanuts, so it can't be too far from correct.
I hope Pop had not planned to eat more of the peanuts,for they are now history.