The story on the E.Coli in our laundry caught my attention as it did many others, I'm sure.They are literally scaring us to death with these stories of E. Coli lurking under our nails, in our clean laundry, in the mint bowl at local restaurants.Evidently, it is everywhere. Even on some of the produce we get from the markets. Now I know, some germs are really bad. But I do think we have brought a lot of this on to ourselves by using so much anti bacterial soap on everything we touch.There are good bacteria, as well as bad, and we are disrupting their balance by using these products so extensively.I plan to do a little more research on this topic to help myself and my family. Pop has had a bout with the MRSA bacteria, and I am convinced that I did too, although I did not think about asking the doctor to test in my case, for MRSA until Pop showed up with a similar sore a little later.I had just recovered from a group of what we thought were boils, on my hip(too close for comfort to other delicate body parts).I was fortunate to have my Mother staying with me at the time, recovering from eye surgery. I would not allow anyone else to change my bandages in that area as often as she did for me. The doctor lanced and packed the carbuncles or boils or whatever they were, and had to repack them every other day. In the meantime, Mom would change the bandages and wash the area as good as possible for me 2 and 3 times a day.Thank God for Mothers!I think the MRSA is a staph infection. I am not a medical student, but do know that staph and E.Coli are both BAD.I'd like to avoid getting either of them at all costs, if possible. I know that E.Coli comes from fecal matter, and everyone has staph in their own body.It is my understanding that the staph that is harmful to us is the staph of others.Our own does not harm us.Hospitals and other medical people, and now we know the same goes for manicurist and the like,can spread these germs by not sterilizing their instruments properly.Anytime the same instruments are used to treat several individuals, the possibility is present for spreading these types of germs.
The article I read said the water temperature in our washing machines, in most cases, was not hot enough to kill these bacteria,and bleach is not effective when used with hot water.You cannot use regular bleach anyway, on colored clothing.They also said the temperatures in our dryers was not hot enough to kill the bacteria.They recommended running the washer empty on occasion with bleach and cold water to sterilize it, but I can't believe that would help that much. The article said that each piece of underwear had the equivalency of a quarter of a peanut of feces on it. They recommended washing the underwear separate using bleach. That could help to a point.A lot more research would be necessary in educating ourselves on this topic for our own and our family's safety, but I believe the key to a lot of it is keeping our immune systems as healthy as possible. That also, will require a lot of research on things to do to achieve that, but the time has come for us to take our health concerns more into our own hands. We have access to all the knowledge in the world right at our fingertips. Now we must learn how to find it and weed out what we feel is best for our own self and our families and work on it.It's never too late to start helping ourselves to live a healthier life.