Wednesday, July 20, 2011

How Do You Like My New Pet?

I have it in a quart jar. It is BIG!
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefile/bugconnection/petbugs/Kentucky/Kentucky.htm#wolf


From the research that I've done,it appears to be a Wolf Spider. The pictures are as close to the actual spider as I could find. When I first found it, in the yard where I was working, it appeared to have grey polka dots in the rear section, but after I brought it inside, and put it in a jar, the hind quarters seem to have changed to black. Lizards are very adaptable and usually well camouflaged in their surroundings.Possibly spiders could act the same way.We have lizards that come onto our porch at times, but I think it would be hard to keep one in a jar.They eat insects such as ants, beetles, larvae and flies, so the ones you get around the house are very welcome. From what I have read, a spider con live in a jar for several years.I'm sure it would take a much larger space to keep a lizard.I have been giving the spider a few flies as we swat them around the house. It says the spider doesn't need but one or two insects a day to live, and they get water from their prey,too.


I guess one would think I was desperate for a pet, by me keeping this huge spider. Not really! I was just fascinated by the size of it when it came near me in the yard. I thought it would be interesting for the grandchildren to observe for a few weeks, then we will most likely turn it loose in the woods, far,far away from the yard. We need all the help we can get when it comes to eliminating as many pesky bugs as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment