Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Project for the Winter Months


Each winter, never really intending this to happen or understanding why, it seems I get sucked in by a particular project, and continue on with that project through the long weeks of cold weather, which keep me indoors more than usual.This winter, it seems, my project is making all kinds of cute little pincushions. Well,they are cute to me,anyway.I know cute usually applies to a living being. Most usually a baby,a kitten, a puppy, really,a baby animal of any kind, but in this case,I will use it to describe my pincushions.I think the reason I get so wrapped up in them, is because I get to rummage through my fabric collections, and pick out some small,but pretty pieces,and mix and match the colors. I do love doing that. Then I add any little fragment of decorations I find appealing,thus using up many small bits and pieces of those types of materials.That is always in the back of my mind. I waste nothing. If I have any little strings or scraps from my trimming, I poke it into the center of the project as more stuffing. It is an obsession of mine, which I plan to blog about another day.Nevertheless, I have made about a dozen of these little pincushions in the last few weeks. I slip one or two in my pocket whenever I go out anywhere. You never know when you will bump into a Special Person, with whom you'd like to share one.So far I have given them to the waitresses at our local restaurant which we visit often, and to a neighbor who drops in each Christmas with a gift,and of course, my Mother. She keeps hers on her fridge.That's where I figured they would end up, since I keep mine there to use daily. You never know when you'll need a pin or a needle, or perhaps find a pin that has fallen to the floor from one of your ongoing projects.My hope has always been to make up lots of little things like the pincushions, to offer in a booth or the like, but selling anything has never worked for me.Giving,yes,but selling,no. I just can't seem to do it.Something in my heart, just keeps saying "Give", but the word "Sell" when it comes to my projects,just doesn't sit right with me.I guess if I were in more of a financial strain, I could and would try harder at selling my crafts, but until then I will continue on, the way I am going. I get much more satisfaction from sharing my crafts in this way.

(I realize this is not a very good picture, but just wanted to show where I have been displaying my little pincushions,for now, as I make them.)

Happy New Year to All. My New Year's wish for all of you, is that your new year be filled with many many hours of indulging yourself in your favorite craft,whatever it may be,and that it bring you as much joy and peace, as mine does to me.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you too, Sue. Glad to see you back blogging. I've missed you!

    I'd really like to see some close-up photos of your pin cushions, if you could post some. They sound adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,Nancy. It seems there is no end to the things that need doing around here. I have another big meal to prepare for tomorrow for my brother's family and his inlaws.I am going to town today to pick up a few things. Mom is coming to spend the night.(I may need to take one of those little blue pills to get through it all)

    I know that was a horrible picture of my pincushions. I'll try to put a better one up soon. I follow Polka Dot Pineapple a little ,and she does some beautiful works. I love to see her projects. So neat and perfect. My goal is to make mine look half as good as hers. I,for whatever reason,have found the making of the tiny pincushions, to be such fun.

    ReplyDelete