Thursday, December 30, 2010
Nancy, here is a better picture of my little pincushions.The first ones I made are a bit larger. I used tuna fish cans and the like as bases back then. Then I started using rolled up cardboard as the base, now I am using rolled up stiffer fabric from anything I can recycle. For my present pincushions, I am using some chair covers I had used on the porch, which the sun had bleached too much to reuse in any other manner.I cut it into strips, and roll it up as I do the woolen fabric I use for the top half.The top half has to be something a pin or needle will slide into easily. I learned that early on when I used fabric softener dryer sheets for my stuffing. Needles do not penetrate that material easily, if at all.(That was before I quit using the dryer sheets.Something in them gives me a headache.)
I tried crocheting the covering for the first ones I made,too,but found that the needles went plum down into the cushion. Pretty enough,but not my best idea.I keep trying new things, and so far,enjoy making them the way I am now. It is very calming for me to sit and piddle with the little things while watching some of the old Westerns with Pop late at night.He usually falls asleep anyway, so I just continue on until I get sleepy, working on my little pincushions.That seems to be my winter's project this year.Hope the new picture helps.
Posted by Sue from Ky. at 11:06 AM