Thursday, October 29, 2009

Let's Have A Pincushion Party!



Nowadays, when I can't sleep at night, I find myself slipping off to the basement, dragging out my many boxes of craft supplies, and trying to think of something pretty to make with all my cherished possessions. Every winter it seems, I take up some type of craft and do just that one craft all winter.But lately,I am beginning to view that a little differently.It's a lot like gardening. A season is a long time to wait to learn from your mistakes, in order to make it better for the next season.There are too many crafts which I want to try, to continue doing the same craft over and over, all winter. So this winter, I think I will work on several projects.Nothing specific in mind yet. As I read some of the blogs, that helps me to decide what I want to try. That's where I got the pincushion idea. I had been making them out of various recycled products,like tiny cans,cardboard,wood,etc. and mine were covered with crocheted tops.Then I saw one lady's blog where she was piecing pretty materials together to make hers. That caught my eye, since I love and have so much material.So I gave it a try. I am enjoying this venture tremendously,as you can see. I was up till 3:00 AM this morning.I think I managed to make 3 new pincushions.My hot glue gun is now history, so I will have to make a trip to Michael's soon. I do sew a large portion of the elements, but use the glue gun occasionally.

3 comments:

  1. Love your pincushions! What site did you see them on? I'd love to go check them out. I did see an adorable pincushion on COZY LITTLE HOUSE...it looks like a little patchwork bird. (Look at her post that is entitled 'The Sky is Crying' and scroll down to find the little red and white bird) I love how she has her buttons and thread in those glass jars. I've collected several gallon pickle jars to do the same thing with mine. Rita once told me that imitation is the highest form of flattery!! xoxo...V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that I found a cute little mitten ornament at Michael's the other day that looks like it was cut from a crazy quilt. I got it just as a pattern in case I want to make some later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done the same thing.We found a quaint little restaurant at the other end of Hgwy.86, years ago.It was set up a little like the Whistle Stop in Glendale. We ate there, and I browsed through the adjoining shop. That's where I found my mittens. They are in a tan flannel looking cloth, with a primitive star on one side, and a string to hang them by. I bought 4 just for us to use as patterns.(We do think a lot alike.)

    ReplyDelete