Friday, October 30, 2009

The Moon Flower

This is a picture of my Moon Flower. Not nearly as pretty as it grew to be later in the summer, as it doubled in size. It took over the entire corner of that bed, which I had not planned for. It nearly smothered out my lavender and a few other plants nearby. I hope to either move it next year or start a new bed just for it alone. It is an unusual plant. It only opens it's bloom at around 8 o'clock at night. It has a wonderful fragrance. That is why I placed it where I did. My husband and I sit out on the porch quite often in the early mornings or late evenings when the weather permits.
We are out there in the porch swing with our morning coffee lots of mornings when the paper person and the bus runs. Many mornings, it's still dark. Nonetheless, I am writing this to say, I harvested the seed pods today and cut the plant back for the winter. If anyone wants Moon Flower seeds, I have them. I gathered a 2 gallon bucket of seed pods. I tossed a few around the yard in different spots, hoping some would come up on their own next year. I am not real sure of it's growing habit yet. I had a plant once before, but lost it during the first season with the house fire. I got a new start from a friend this past year in time to enjoy it all summer. It is , indeed a novelty plant. Folks are astounded by it opening up, while they watch, and by it's sweet fragrance filling the evening air.

1 comment:

  1. I see you've made changes...I'll be back!!

    ReplyDelete