Friday, July 23, 2010

Out My Kitchen Window


I have read several posts about what others see outside their kitchen windows, so I thought I would show my view. I have spoken about this flower a few times in the last several months. Well, it has outdone itself this year. Believe it or not, this is only one plant. If you have ever had one, you know the seed pod is identical to the gymsum weed. I'm pretty sure that is the weed's name which I refer to.It grew in the fields when I was a child. Mostly in the pigpen, that I recall.I do remember it other places, but I guess hogs don't eat it, so that was the reason I remember so many of them,left standing, while everything else was devoured.It has a real similar bloom,too, only larger and super white.The whitest I've ever seen, unless it be on a wedding dress. That is what I think of when I see them first open. After they have been open for awhile, they turn a beige, and then fall off,leaving the seedpod to grow in its place. I try to keep a lot of the seed pods pinched off before they mature. That forces out more blooms, and doesn't leave trillions of seeds to germinate later.The fragrance is heavenly. On some nights,the smell of the moon flower fills our yard and beyond. I'm considering letting more of them grow out around our property.The blooms would be a welcome sight during the later summer when all else has dried up.

No comments:

Post a Comment