Monday, March 21, 2011

Starling...Pros and Cons

It's that time of the year once more when I must watch my Purple Martin housing to keep those pesty Starlings at bay. They are bad about building in houses you had intended for other birds,or running other birds away, or even destroying existing nest or baby birds. Yes, I have seen it with my own eyes.A Starling, destroying the nest of a wren family.No wonder folks consider them to be a pest. I have done some reading on Starlings, before I posted today, and now,I feel bad about maligning them so.I guess every form of wildlife has it's following,and I'm sure Starlings are no different,but to those of us who try to provide sanctuary for certain other birds,they are a nuisance. I have read that they eat grubs and decaying fruits, and that is a good thing.And I suppose all forms of wildlife have their good habits, as well as some bad.That seems to be the way of every living species.Europe seems to have had their fill of this specific bird though.I pulled up this link in my research and got to feeling kinda sympathetic toward the Starling,but not enough to let them overtake my Martin Housing.This link ( http://www.starlingtalk.com/) interesting read for anyone.You might want to check it out.
And then there are other sites that reinforce my feelings about them being a nuisance.
(http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/starling.htm) I guess it depends on the individual,as to whether it is considered a problem or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment