Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Luffa Sponge


This picture was copied from the Burgess Seed and Plant Co. Catalog


http://www.luffa.info/luffagrowing.htm


I pulled up this link, just in case some were not familiar with the loofah plant. I have grown them myself and love using the sponges in my bath,in my facial cleansing procedures,and even in dish washing,although I've not tried it on the trucks as of yet. I have been wondering why I haven't heard more about this particular sponge, since so many of the bloggers I'm following, are into soap making. I have seen catalogs where you can purchase the sponge with different types of home made soap infused into the fibers of the sponge.Is this sponge not grown in other areas?It seems to me that it would be a wonderful addition to many of the soapers product lines.Since it is used in bathing, for dish washing, and even for car washing,it only seems logical that it would be a great addition.I definitely plan to grow them myself,again this year.I have been reading a bit more about the loofah, and find it is edible at certain stages of growth.I was not aware of that fact, but I am game even in that area. I may try cooking a few before letting them mature to the sponge stage. I love to try my hand at growing new and different plants on occasion.I may even find I like eating them, as well.


5 comments:

  1. I've grown them and they work great! Very cool plant -- I have used them in my soap making too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive seen them on rhondas site down to earth so obviously they grow in australia. I havent seen any seeds here in NZ. the loofahs are really expensive to buy so i should search further for the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea. I have thought about growing them before, but just didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to try and grow these as well...I purchased a mature sponge to use for bathing at a festival back in November of last year...I didn't know they were edible ..thanks for more info on them...blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, I've thought about growing them.
    Thought about making soap with them also.
    Haven't gotten around to it yet!

    Also, you have been awarded a blogging award, here is the link.
    http://uraniasinspiration.blogspot.com/2011/03/sharing-and-blogging.html

    ReplyDelete